Erectile dysfunction (or impotence) in men is the ongoing inability to achieve and maintain an erection that is firm enough for sex.
Overview of Erectile Dysfunction
Causes of erectile dysfunction
- Vasculogenic (arterial/venous disease)
- Neuropathic (diabetes/post prostatectomy)
- Drugs (anti-hypertensives/anti-depressants)
- Hormonal imbalance (low testosterone/Thyroid dysfunction/high prolactin)
- Penile disorders – Peyronie’s disease
- Psychological (anxiety/depression)
- Combinations of the above
- Venous leak
- Neurological (central/peripheral)
- Pelvic surgery
- Renal failure
- Increasing age
- Relationship issues
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Persistent inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for satisfactory sexual performance
- Does not include disorders of ejaculation
Diagnosing Erectile Dysfunction
How do we find the cause?
- Detailed medical history and targeted physical examination
- Blood pressure /pulse readings
- Blood tests (testosterone/Thyroid function/prolactin/glucose/lipid screen)
- Imaging – doppler ultrasound/MRI of the penis
Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction
- Treat any reversible causes
- Psychosexual counselling
- Trial of PDE5 inhibitor tablets (Sildenafil/Tadalafil/Vardenafil/Avanafil)
- Vacuum pump devise
- Intra-penile injection of Alprostadil/Aviptadil/Intra-urethral pellet or cream of Alprostadil
- Penile prosthesis (malleable/inflatable)
Get fast access to leading specialists for the swift diagnosis and treatment of urological conditions in a private clinic environment.
If you would like more information or wish to arrange a consultation with one of our specialist consultant urological surgeons then please either Call 0118 920 7040 or complete the form below.
Contact your GP and ask for a referral to the Urology Partnership.
All consultations, investigations and treatments are covered by major insurance companies (depending on policy).
Funding your own treatment
Self-funding initial consultation fee is £205. Follow up fees are £165.
Consultation charges are exclusive of any tests and other investigations that the consultant may wish to carry out.